Bloggers Pet hates when it comes to working with some brands!



Hey Guys & Gals,


So, it's Sunday morning and instead of feeling in 'Lazy mode' I'm feeling a bit annoyed lol. I was in two minds whether to write this post because I didn't want to look like a moany old git or bring negativity to my blog but who cares, let's have a rant, get your cup of tea ready....

If you're a blogger you'll understand where I'm coming from when it comes to working with brands, you will have had good experiences and bad experiences. I'm not saying the world is coming to an end but I'm not so chirpy at the fact that I was sent a message at 6am this morning (Sunday Morning Grrrrr) basically telling me to hurry up with a blog post for a product that I was sent a few days ago (I'm like, Can I have 5 minutes to review it). It wasn't just this message that annoyed me, I'd had a few emails from the same brand and the whole overtone towards me was quite patronising. 

The brand is unknown (well only known to anyone who might pop into Poundland....That sounded like shade, but it's true) and they only have under 50 followers on Twitter. I can understand the desperation for promo but really...is a bit of manners and respect towards a blogger too much to ask?

Never one to hold back with this kind of thing, I sent a message back giving a little bit of an education on how to treat bloggers in future. I also told them that future bloggers may include in their posts about the manner of the people behind their brand and that would look negative upon them and the product. 

Today I was going to chill, watch some movies with my other half, take some pictures, blog and have a pamper session but now I feel kind of rushed and pressured to do this post as soon as possible incase I get yet another message. I have been snowed under this week in my personal life with work etc and I've also been doing other blog posts and was going to have this post for this brand done either today or tomorrow,

So, I've put together a little list, some you may relate to some you might know and some you may have experienced that I haven't included here so pop them in the comments if you want....


1- SOME BRANDS THINK BLOGGERS DON'T HAVE A LIFE!

Like I've just been moaning about, this brand/guy messaging me at 6am on a Sunday after already badgering me with emails. If you send us a product (especially if it's a cosmetic product) at least gives us time to properly review that product. We have other commitments in our lives and brands who may have sent us products before you.

2- TALK TO US WITH RESPECT!

Some brands are so rude it's unreal, Like, we are so Lucky to be reviewing their products! I've worked with some big brands who are well known and they've had a fabulous attitude but some medium to low known brands get a bit on their high horse and act a bit like Divas in their emails. 

3- BLOGGERS WANTED! SEND US YOUR EMAIL AND WE'LL GET BACK TO YOU!

This is a funny one, Some brands are really looking for bloggers to do a review and some are just looking to put your email on their newsletter subscription list. I've had this a few times where I'm sent newsletters for brands and I haven't signed up to them. 

4- BLOGGERS WANTED! RT AND FOLLOW US AND WE'LL DM YOU!

In the same vein as just mentioned...this is another way for some brands to up their followers list on Twitter. Some are genuine but quite a lot are not. They'll send you a DM requesting your email and then say something along the lines of....Thanks for the email we'll contact you shortly...and then you never hear a thing. I think they hope you'll forget about it and stay on their followers list on Twitter, plus they've just got some free promo out of you if you've RT'd their tweet. 


5 - THEY DON'T AKNOWLEDGE YOUR POST!

I know this doesn't bother some bloggers but it bothers me lol. When I've put a lot of effort into a post (which I haven't been paid for) I expect  for that brand to at least give me some feedback or a Retweet! I know there are some big brands who don't tend to retweet blog posts but I'd be lying if I said it didnt bother me when I've seen a brand RT other blog posts but not mine. 

6 - THANK YOU FOR CONTACTING US ABOUT DOING A REVIEW IN EXCHANGE FOR FREEBIES!

I got this in an email and it annoyed me, other people might not be bothered but I find it quite condescending. Brands need us more than we need them. We work hard and put a lot of hours into blogging and the whole 'Freebies' thing annoys me. How can they be 'Freebies' when we have worked for them?

7 - GETTING YOUR NAME WRONG OR USING LINES SUCH AS 'HELLO BLOGGER, HI BEAUTY'

The copy and paste emails are annoying. Some brands send out a standard email to the bloggers they have on their email list. It doesn't sound professional and puts some bloggers off working with that brand. It also makes the brand look lazy.

8 - BEING SENT EMAILS TO REVIEW A PRODUCT UNRELATED TO YOUR BLOG!

I've been send a few emails to review things that have no relation to my blog and it leaves me thinking that the brand hasn't bothered looking at any of my posts. 

9 - SPELLING MISTAKES IN EMAILS AND MESSAGES!

The number of emails I've been send with tons of spelling mistakes. I don't mean to sound like Mrs Grammar Queen here but from a Brand/PR you expect a bit more. These people get paid a great salary and supposed to be prof. Again it shows a lazy approach. 

10 - TAKING YOUR BLOG POST/PICTURES WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION!

This happened to me a couple of times. These were products that I actually bought myself and decided to review on my blog. The brands found these posts and the next thing I knew they appeared on their website. I was in two minds about this. I was pleased that they liked my post but a bit cheesed off that they used my pics and post without permission. 

11- CAN YOU SEND US YOUR REVIEW FIRST SO WE CAN LOOK OVER IT BEFORE YOU POST IT!

Erm, Not happening, how dodgy is this! This happened to me and as soon as I got that email I was just like....forget that! I posted the review and sent it to them afterwards. I'm not having anyone possibly change my words/post in any way.

12 - ONCE YOU'VE DONE THE REVIEW COULD YOU KEEP SHARING OUR SUBSCRIPTION LINK TO YOUR FOLLOWERS! 

I don't mind doing a review and including the brands links etc in the post (especially if there's a % off code) but to expect me to keep promoting you after that then you'll have to pay me for it lol. I don't mind doing the odd Retweet on TheBloggersPost for a brand that I have a good relationshp with but I don't go overboard with it. Some brands expect so much from bloggers for so very little.

13 - THEY PAY SOME BLOGGERS FOR THEIR TIME BUT NOT YOU!

You could argue and say that this is down to us as bloggers, it's up to you to negotiate and put your foot down, but what happens when you're approached by a big brand with a big presence on social media and they want you to do a review. You then have the choice of revewing the product and having that extra promotion for yourself and your blog or you can say no thanks! It does annoy me that bigger bloggers get paid to review the same product that you've just reviewed and they've been paid for it because of the number of followers they have. They might have a high following but is their post as thorough as yours?

14 - SOME BRANDS ARE LAZY!

Some brands expect you to do all the running for them. They don't update their social media and their Twitter pages practically have cobwebs on them. You're expected to post/promote their products but they don't interact with potential customers or promote their own product. I never understand this, is it because they can't afford to hire someone to take over their Social media channels? 

15 - YOU'RE SENT A PRODUCT TO REVIEW BUT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR POSTAGE!

Coming back from work to find a post card instructing me to go and collect a parcel but I'd have to pay the postage......ummm no thanks! you wanted me to do the review, you can pay the postage. 


16 - CAN YOU DO A REVIEW FOR US BUT WE WANT YOU TO GO AND COLLECT IT FROM XYZ....

This was a Drama....This was when I was in the early days of Blogging and a drinks company contacted me about doing a review, I was excited to be approached and they said they would send everything out. A few days later a package came and that's when the drama started! I was provided with vouchers to buy these drinks lol. But before that I had to search online for them because they were not stocked in any newsagents of local supermarkets. It was a nightmare! I managed to travel here there and everywhere to find these blimmin drinks and when I finally found some...they only had two flavours (and that's not even the half of it). I got to the checkout with the vouchers and it turned out the vouchers only paid for half of the drinks so I had to add my own money to them. I wasn't happy and after emails back and forth I ended up not doing the review. It was a joke. There was no mention of any of this in the early emails, they just said they were sending everything out.


17 - TAKING ADVANTAGE OF BLOGGERS!

Always remember, they need you more than you need them. When you're contacted by a brand make sure you consider everything you're going to get out of working with them. Don't let them rip you off! Don't say yes to everything (like I've done in the past, hence why I've had a few bad experiences) 


Well, I think that's about it for my Sunday Morning rant lol, now time to relax, get some more blog posts done, face mask on and enjoy the rest of my Sunday and I hope you do to. Don't forget to include anything you'd like to add in the comments as I know I might have missed a few things to mention.

As always, thank you for reading and here's to more Happy (and fair) blogging!!!  

Oh, and just to add....Don't let a bad experience with a brand put you off blogging, not all brands treat bloggers the same and I've worked with and have a great relationship with quite a number of brands. Thankfully it's the minority that aren't so fabulous!

Much Love x

You can find me on CaledonianKitty | MissJoGahan | TheBloggersPost